About the Journal-JSOGP                Editorial Board        Guidelines      Submission      Contact us
   
   
      About the Society (SOGP)             JSOGP Reviewers Video Gallery    Others              JSOGP undertaking
Original Article: Impact of Kegel Exercises on Control of Urinary Incontinence in Patients of Cystocoele
Author(s) Name:
Taqdees Naqaish
Shaista Ambreen
Farwa Rizvi
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Farwa Rizvi, Assistant Professor, Community Medicine Dept., Islamabad Medical and Dental College (IMDC), Bahria university, Islamabad.

Abstract

Objective: To determine Impact of Kegel exercises on control of urinary incontinence in patients of Cystocoele
Study Design: A Randomized control trail (RCT)
Place and Duration: It was conducted in the Department of Rehabilitation, Shifa International Hospital, Islamabad from May, 2012 to November, 2012.
Methodology: Fifty Patients of cystocoele (25 each) selected by consecutive sampling were included in two groups by randomization. Kegel’s and postural correction exercises were introduced to the experimental group and back strengthening and postural correction exercises to the control group. Data analysis was carried out by using SPSS 17 software. ‘t’ test was used to determine the effectiveness of Kegel’s exercises on urinary incontinence in patients of Cystocoele. p-value (0.001) was significant.
Results: It was observed that 60% of the subjects responded well to Kegel’s and postural correction exercises. On the other hand 40% subjects responded to the back strengthening and postural exercises. Eighteen subjects (36%) were included in post menopausal age and 11(22%) in pre menopausal status. Where as 21 subjects (42%) were in reproductive age group (20-40 years). Thirty two subjects (64%) had Grade I, and 18 subjects (36%) had Grade II cystocoele. Moderate urinary incontinence persisted in 5 subjects (10 %,) only, while maximum subjects 23 (46%) had no urinary incontinence, and 22 subjects (44%) had slight urinary incontinence.
Conclusion: Kegel exercises were proved to be significantly effective (p= 0.03) in improving the urinary incontinence in the experimental group as compared to control group (back strengthening exercise).
Key Words: Exercise, Cystocoele, urinary incontinence.

[Download Complete Original Article.Click Download on top Right]
File Size: 4.49MB(PDF)